Exciting news overnight! The Surf Coast Shire in Victoria has begun its pilot for Tiny Houses on Wheels for permanent occupation. This pilot will run until December 2026.
Key points of the pilot:
- Must be on privately owned land
- Tiny Houses on Wheels only
- Meet assessment criteria which include legal compliance, environmental impacts, amenity, access, waste management, connection to services and utilities, and safety
- Cannot be located in a Flooding Overlay or Bushfire Management Overlay, unless within a township boundary
- This pilot is to gather community feedback and create policies and procedures for any future regulations
This pilot happened after 3.5 years of advocacy and consultation between ATHA, the community and council. We’d like to thank Wayne Reid & Janine Strachan in particular for their efforts and the Surf Coast Shire Council for their vision. This is momentus, a great precedent for other councils to implement similar local laws. Read more about the pilot here.